March 3, 2010

Winter

I never thought I would post something that praises winter.  But I've been recently reminded that we need to rejoice in every season of life... and that includes winter.  I've had a severe case of the winter blues the past week... just longing for Spring and hardly able to stand the sight of another snowflake!  But I'm going to make an effort here to "In everything give thanks".  :-)
____________________________________________________________

The Blessings of Winter

- Snow -
Beautiful tiny snowflakes, the sun sparkling off of a new blanket of snow and catching the ice crystals to transform them into hundreds of tiny rainbows, the way a fresh layer of snow blankets every little tree limb and lays on the hemlock branches to look like a white archway, children running and playing in the snow and taking advantage of every last handful.

- Memories -
 Every day brings new memories, and some of mine over the past month have been: putting together puzzles on a snowy day, my first sled ride and ungraceful plunge into a snow drift, the excited laughter that followed, long walks down snowy lanes, traipsing through the woods and kicking up snow just for the fun of it, fishtailing on slick roads in a nice green Toyota truck, long extended weekends in Floyd, being shuttled up and down our driveway on a tractor with my face uplifted enjoying the gentle pattering of the snowflakes while my ears turn bright red from the cold.

- Lessons -
One of the most important lessons I've been learning this winter is the lesson of trust.  Trusting people is one thing, but when I think about the reality of trusting God with EVERYTHING... wow... it's a totally different ball game.  I can't see the future. I can't say where the economy is going to go.  I can't tell if President Obama is going to pass all kinds of new laws and change America.   But Someone does know.  Trusting Him with my life can be hard at times, but I am so thankful for the lessons He brings my way to teach me to trust even more.

- No Bugs -
OK, I think only a girl would come up with this one (chuckle)  But honestly, I am TRULY thankful that there is a shortage of bugs in the winter. :-)  No wasps, bees, yellowjackets, grand daddy long legs, crane flies, horse flies, spiders... you name it.  I am very thankful for a season when bugs are at a minimum. :-)

- Cozy Days -
 having a few days every week to just be able to stay around the house and read a book, scrapbook, bake, whatever. Wow. What a blessing.  I know in the summer I often long for the winter when I'm able to just curl up and not go anywhere because of the snow.  It's really nice to have these cozy winter days.


_______________________________________________________
And if any of you think of some more blessings that you think of... please leave a comment and jolt my memory even further. :-)  I should do things like this more often.. it really is good for me to give thanks for every season of life.  Including Winter. :-)

~ Susanna

8 comments:

Gary said...

I'm proud of you. ;-P

Susanna said...

Aw, thanks! ;) I should post a copy of that poem up next... :)

Nicole said...

This Florida gal would like to add one more to the -bugs- list: MOSQUITOES!!! And I love winter! I'm still not tired of it. Of course, we don't get snow, so...take that as you want. :-P

Susanna said...

*chuckle* Nicole, we don't have mosquitos up here! :-P I can see where you're not tired of winter yet.. Florida winters are milder. I'm feeling a little sheepish... am I the only one that has been disliking winter so intensely? :-]

Jennifer Bates said...

Susanna you are not alone! I find it hard to like winter---I don't know why I dislike the cold---Blame it on me being born on the first day of Summer or the fact that I seem to get cold very easily...but those are good things about winter that I never really thought of--and to add to your list (although it may not be true up north) But our electric bill is smaller and THAT is ALWAYS a blessing! :P

-- I think it would be amazing and I would be in Awe to see REAL snow--And I always LOVE your pictures...

Susanna said...

Jenn, good! I'm not the only one who struggles here.. *sheepish grin*. That's a good one! I don't know if the electric bill here is much cheaper... I don't even know what's normal, actually. 8-| Hmm... I think it's time I woke up to the "adult world". *sheepish grin* :-]

Nicole said...

No comment. :-P

Susanna said...

Nicole, Hey, be nice! :-| ;-P