February 22, 2010

In Awe


"Lord I have heard of your fame, I stand in awe of your deeds O Lord.  Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy....

His Glory covered the heavens and His praise filled the earth.  His splendor was like the sunrise, rays flashed from His hand, where His power was hidden....

Were you angry with the rivers, O Lord?  Was your wrath against the streams? Did you rage against the sea when you rode with your horses and your victorious chariots?  You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows.  You split the earth with rivers;  the mountains saw you and writhed.  Torrents of water swept by; the deep roared and lifted its waves on high.  Sun and moon stood still in the heavens at the glint of Your flying arrows, at the lightning of Your flashing spear. 

In wrath You strode through the earth and in anger you threshed the nations.  You came out to deliver your people.... I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; and my legs trembled... yet I will rejoice in the Lord.  I will be joyful in God my Savior.  The sovereign Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights." 

(portions of Habakkuk 3:2-19)

______________________________________

The amazing picture of God's power here completely blows me away.  And yet, with His flawless power over the entire history and future of the earth, He cares about each individual person that He creates. 
Wow.  How very, very humbling!

4 comments:

Jennifer Bates said...

Very wonderful reminder! also reminds me of the scripture that talks about--
Do not worry about what you shall whare or eat--because if God knows how to clothe the feilds and feed the birds of the air how much MORE does He care for us!??
We serve a God that knows us before we were born and loved us before the world began! Wow! now I'm in Awe again!

Susanna said...

So so true Jenn!! That verse does tie right in. Awe is a very good thing. ;-)

DNI said...

Awesome and grand thoughts, Susanna! :) I like how you put the Scripture in sequence as you did. It makes it so alive and real!
With much love, Aunt Rebecca

Susanna said...

Aunt Rebecca, thanks for the thoughts! How are things going for you there in NY? I think about you often... and whenever I think of you now, I'm struck with the thought of how much you're giving up to live there in your little "cubby hole" of NYC. Wow. :-)
~ Susanna